Café Evening Co-Manager
This is a full-time (40 hours/week) position, which includes all aspects of maintaining the daily operation of the Riverwest Co-op Café, while working with cooperatively with a Co-Manager. This position requires working evening hours (2PM to close) and being on call during that time.
The café is not only a very active neighborhood eating/gathering place, but also a profitable enterprise. We are seeking the right individual who has the vision, time and talent to develop this very unique Riverwest venue.
- Work at least 20 hours in the cafe, see cafe staff description for more information.Respond to customer requests and concerns promptly.
- Monitor and order products and supplies.
- Check refrigerator temperatures.
- Track income and expenses.
- Be on call for any staff issues.
Staff Management Responsibilities
- Hire and manage all café employees.
- Scheduling staff.
- Train staff to comply with all applicable health and safety laws.
- Train all staff in kitchen prep, cleaning, recipes and service.
- Train volunteers when needed.
- Adjust hours and assign tasks to meet customer demand.
- Maintain and update task lists for employees, and opening and closing procedures.
- Review and update the Employee Handbook when necessary.
- Conduct performance reviews.
- Organize and manage the monthly cafe staff meeting.
Kitchen Management Responsibilities
- Maintain café environment to health code requirements.
- Maintain and repair equipment.
- Oversee recipe consistency and develop new items.
- Monitor food sales.
- Ensure café’s compliance with applicable laws: business license, permits, health regulations, labor laws, etc.
- Schedule volunteers after intake
- Strengthen volunteer engagement in the cafe
- Work with Volunteer Coordinator
- Attend weekly Workers Collective meetings.
- Attend monthly board meeting and report for café.
- Attend monthly Finance Committee meeting.
- Maintain café advertising and promotion.
- Prepare timely financial reports, as pertaining to food costs, salary, employee hours, budget, and growth.
- Monitor deviations from budget and maintain profit margins.
- Monitor café performance and review reports with Finance committee regularly.
Requirements for Position
- Must be able to be on feet for 8 hours a day and occasional heavy lifting.
- Must be motivated and take initiative.
- Previous Kitchen management experience.
- Excellent cooking skills and recipe development.
- Organizational and multitasking skills.
- Understanding of cost and inventory control.
- Friendly customer relations demeanor.
- Demonstrates leadership ability.
- Communication skills; ability to listen, speak and write clearly, can give and receive feedback and constructive criticism.
- Ability to work with people of a wide range of skills and personalities.
- Willingness to work collaboratively with paid staff and volunteers.
- Computer literacy.
- Experience with vegan and vegetarian food.
- Experience working in a strong team work environment.
- Knowledge of products.
Salary and Benefits
- Starting wage is $29,120 ($14/hour) plus tips.
- Paid biweekly.
- Benefits include: vacations, PTO, and flexible schedule. Perks include: store discounts, shift meals.
- Email resumes and cover letters to email@example.com